[DotGNU]Forum course change

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]Forum course change
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:02:53 +0100

Hi folks,

Forum is a vital component of the FSEDU/FSA project and as such it needs to be
workable asap. To make that possible I've decided to change the course of the
project. Currently Forum is aimed at maximum compatibility with DotGNU (Forum
uses DotGNU techs whereever possible), there are some problems arising from that
however (mainly that DotGNU isn't really designed in details yet and thus Forum
doesn't have specs to build on), that's why I'm now reducing compatibility with
DotGNU to possible.

That means I'll try my best to not make it impossible for Forum to be DotGNU
compatible, but I won't be using DotGNU techs if a custom one is better for the
situation (faster, more existing, etc :-).

The first area where this is visible are probably the authorization and
communication mechanisms of Forum. I'm currently thinking of using a relatively
simple encrypted connection in the spirit of the session layer (encrypt a jabber
message and send it in a plain jabber message). For auth I will use the same
idea, simply send your public key at registration and get the Forum one, at
login you can simply confirm yourself by sending the answer to a challenge
string using encryption.

Note that this does not mean I'm not aiming at full DotGNU compatibility, but
given the importance of Forum to FSEDU/FSA making it work has priority over
making it work better :-).

Greetings,

Peter