Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 07:24:23 -0800 (PST)

This ties back into my original proposal for a meta-object workgroup
and meta-data repository.
http://wiki.dotgnu.org/TaskMetaDataRepository

That would provide many datasources for a generic discovery system.

We need to really ask ourselves what is going to be published and what
not!

I feel that free software should not be afraid to allow free access to
the meta-data of a program.

It seems that some people wish to reduce the amount of meta-data
available to to public, because they are afraid that they will lose
control of their projects when it becomes easy to change and use them.

I have no sympathy for the position of reducing knowledge and
information in free software project. Free software needs to be open,
and the meta data has to be made available in an easy to use format.

Discovery systems are fine for close source components, where the
vendor can put the goods in a black box.

Many free software developers lack the creativity to think themselves
out of the box.

They are happy to copy the ideas of microsoft and present solutions for
free software that do not make sense.

The idea of discovery needs to go down to the method and variable level
where you can browse an program and extract just the needed bits and
bobs. In the end, this is tied closely into the job of the compiler,
but is implemented on a global scale.

I challenge you to have the courage to embrace such an idea.

I don't think it is possible because of the lack of knowledge exchange
and openness.

As far as I see is a clear creation of classes of developers in this
project : the "Haves", a few who jealously hide knowledge about the
project and the "Have-Nots". those who are on the outside looking in,
fighting with hidden data structures, bad error messages, and FUD.

I challenge you all to start sharing information, even if it would
reduce your total control over the project, in the end the whole
project will gain from it.

mike

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Unless any objections are raised soon, DotGNU will have an RDF
> based
> > discovery system.
>
> BTW there is no reason to limit this to webservices.  RDF-based
> discovery will be  useful for locating all kinds of services,
> including commercial services of all kinds, and including servers
> that
> offer software for download.
>
> Greetings, Norbert.
>
> --
> Founder & Steering Committee member of
> http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
> Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->
> http://FreeStrategy.info
> Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet (near Zurich,
> Switzerland)
> Tel +41 1 972 20 59        Fax +41 1 972 20 69
> http://norbert.ch

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/