Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:35:11 -0800 (PST)

Norbert,

My critique of the information politic of free software is not
specific to dotgnu. The GCC is a perfect example of a project that
falls under the two class model.

Again, I am not getting personal here, there are problems with the
policies of free software coming from the very top.

I am pointing out the lack of open interfaces, the hiding of classes in

source files, the discouragement of meta-information.

All of these are indication of a InformationsPolitik that I find in
free software. That is the problem that I see with free software, and
it is what will hold back development unless addressed.

The point is that a Discovery service for free software needs to be
thought through carefully.

We need to consider the possibility of opening up a large amount of
metadata to the discovery service. This would conflict directly with
the current InformationsPolitik of dotgnu.

As I said, it is my challenge to you and the other dotgnu people to
deal with the question of openness and informationsharing.

It is very embarrassing that a organisation that is sworn to openness
and freedom is bent on crushing projects and hiding important internal
information from the "second class".

I am working on my patches, and will be fixing these problems as I see
them. People who also see the problem can use my patches. They will be
submitted to savannah.

mike

=====