Re: [DotGNU]The RDF Linking Problem

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The RDF Linking Problem
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:29:37 -0500

Peter Minten wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> there is one big theoretical problem in the way of the semantic web: the
> linking
> problem (as I call it). An example: say there are a couple of million RDF
> servers and you want to find metadata about a book named "Hackers", however
> the
> metadata is stored somewhere on an obscure little server and there are no
> links
> to it. The only way to find it would be to search the complete semantic web.
> If
> enough of those situations would occur the semantic web would get jammed.
>
> The way I see things this situation can be resolved in two ways: enough links
> (easiest, but hard to get done) and P2P techiques. P2P mostly boils down to
> metadata (for example about where to download copyrighted materials without
> the
> authors permission ;-) so if we copy some of the techinques of existing Free
> Software P2P initiatives the linking problem should be solvable.

Another solution is to manage state distribution via CTP servers.

Seth Johnson

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.