Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:02:14 +1000

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 03:18 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> in order to get dotgnu into
> the existing business, you will need to have many interfaces into other
> systems. Non -free  and otherwise.
>
> That should be also a clear roadmap as to what is useable
> from the dotgnu system from a lgpl perspective. What parts can I use in
> a non-free system.

There is nothing stopping a non-free business from using DotGNU as they see
fit.  The GPL is quite clear that businesses can use GPL'ed code internally
with no redistribution conditions.  It is only once the code leaves the
premises that the redistribution conditions activate.  Most businesses are
consumers of software, not producers, and so there will be no problem with
them using DotGNU.

I think you are mixing up software consumers with software producers.
Software producers are held to a higher standard by the GPL, and that is the
way it should be.  Whether we choose to allow non-free producers to use our
system as a base is a separate issue from how software consumers use it.