Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:20:28 +1000

Michael, I suggest you read the following from RMS:

    http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

As I said, it isn't in our job description to accomodate non-free
requirements.  As always, RMS expresses the reasons why better than I can:

    The GNU GPL is not Mr. Nice Guy. It says ``no'' to some of the things that
    people sometimes want to do. There are users who say that this is a bad
    thing--that the GPL ``excludes'' some proprietary software developers who
    ``need to be brought into the free software community.''

    But we are not excluding them from our community; they are choosing not to
    enter. Their decision to make software proprietary is a decision to stay
    out of our community. Being in our community means joining in cooperation
    with us; we cannot ``bring them into our community'' if they don't want to
    join.