Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - Draft Version 0.3
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

Rhys,
I agree with you on this level. My entire point is that of trying to
get dotgnu into a company that is not against free software, but not a
free software producer.

I think that dotgnu will be interesting to many people who program in
java, those who program in c#, and those who use middleware.

many people sell applications using these plateforms, and it would make
sense to try and sell them on dotgnu.

mike

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael, I suggest you read the following from RMS:
>
>     http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html
>
> As I said, it isn't in our job description to accomodate non-free
> requirements.  As always, RMS expresses the reasons why better than I
> can:
>
>     The GNU GPL is not Mr. Nice Guy. It says ``no'' to some of the
> things that
>     people sometimes want to do. There are users who say that this is
> a bad
>     thing--that the GPL ``excludes'' some proprietary software
> developers who
>     ``need to be brought into the free software community.''
>
>     But we are not excluding them from our community; they are
> choosing not to
>     enter. Their decision to make software proprietary is a decision
> to stay
>     out of our community. Being in our community means joining in
> cooperation
>     with us; we cannot ``bring them into our community'' if they
> don't want to
>     join.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.