[DotGNU]Core Library Now Signature-Compatible With .NET!

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Core Library Now Signature-Compatible With .NET!
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:12:45 +1000

Hi All!

Those of you who have had the misfortune of being subscribed to the CVS
commits list will have noticed that I've been very busy lately.  Sorry about
filling up your mailboxes with diffs, but it has been in a good cause. :-)

The CVS version of the lowest-level library within pnetlib, "mscorlib.dll", is
now signature compatible with the corresponding assembly in version 1.1 of
the .NET Framework SDK.  Every class, every method, every interop marker
attribute, and every silly little enumerated constant.  All of it!

Of the 860-odd public classes in the .NET library, over 730 are now completely
implemented in pnetlib.  That is, the class is finished, and there are no
outstanding TODO's.  The remainder of the classes have TODO's, and mainly
fall within Reflection.Emit, remoting, and policy objects.  Furthermore, all
of the ECMA TODO's in "mscorlib.dll" have been addressed.

But there is still a lot to do!  Now that the API is complete, we need testers
and lots of them!  There are certain to be bugs, and there are always those
left-over TODO's to keep people amused.  And "System.dll" and
"System.Xml.dll" still need a lot of work.

This is a major milestone for DotGNU and everyone can be proud for
contributing to this achievement.  We are well on the way to not only being
ECMA-compatible for DotGNU 0.1, but also SDK-compatible with the base class
library assemblies.