Re: [DotGNU]Will unrolling an instruction slow down execution ?

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Will unrolling an instruction slow down execution ?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 19:30:38 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> That's a pretty fair assumption, modulo register assignments to stack
> positions.  The main tricky part is with exceptions - you need to "ReExecute"
> in the interpreter to make the exception work.

I'm hoping that the offsets of data structures like System_String->length
etc will remain constant ?... Those -8(%ebp) stuff sounds too freaky to
hand code ...

I see that you have store-fetch forwarding in registers which is cool ...!
So

stloc.0
ldloc.0

is only one memory write and there is not even a need for a register move
there !.

> The hard stuff will eventually turn into helper functions, called from the
> JIT.  For now, the CVM interpreter does the hard stuff.

I mean

x86_call(&unroll,_StringEquals);

> Parts of the generic unroller are now checked in, although they haven't been
> enabled just yet because it is incomplete.

I'll look into this in detail later .. Right now I'm re-writing the
shared copyrighted parts of the Java compiler ...

Java is more important than a 2% speed of the JIT , right ? :-)