Re: [DotGNU]Problem under cygwin

From: Ian Game
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Problem under cygwin
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:02:13 +0100

Gopal V wrote:
If memory serves me right, Ian Game wrote:

Problem shows up in the console window like the log file shows but worse still is it screws up the Win2k OS! You have to re-boot as there are no processes to see in the task mgr window and everything is real slow.

I had only a brief look , but it looks like you're having permission
problems for ld & gcc ?... Are you able to run them from the command
line ?.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally acquire a virus ?... which might
explain why gcc was Permission Denied ... ie write exclusive locks to
executables is a very very bad sign ...
I have never known configure to mess up a system ... at least not until
today ..

Gopal

Thanks for the suggestion Gopal, however I don't think that is the cause.

What seems to be happening is that memory allocation is going wrong and Cygwin runs out of memory. This explains why nothing works and it all runs slow afterwards. It also explains why treecc configure runs to completion, there is just a different set of circumstances.

I've had a quick look in the Cygwin area and tried acouple of things like using the CYGWIN variable 'ntsec' and allowing NT to allocate more memory, it just stops in a different place now. FWIW, I don't think it is configure itself, just a combination of that with some changes to Cygwin, and I notice that there are some issues being discussed on that newsgroup.

I will keep looking and trying but any ideas from others the group who use this platform would be most welcome.

Thanks

Ian