[DotGNU]Error messages from cscc, adding features to the compiler, debug

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: [DotGNU]Error messages from cscc, adding features to the compiler, debugging and gdb ilrun
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Team,

The newest version of pnet is great, and i have happy to use it.
I was wondering if anyone is working on verbose diagnostic error
messages?

I would like to take some time and add in :

1. The name of the class and method of the error,
so it will say,
EulerProof.cs:1170: `elrEl' is not declared in the current scope  in
method public virtual void  Euler::TryCatch1

2. If a method is not found,
EulerProof.cs:1056: no matching method for call to
`EmitGoal(System.Text.StringBuilder, System.Text.StringBuilder, Euler)'
in method public virtual bool  Euler::CheckImpliesFalse
did you mean public virtual void EmitGoal(StringBuilder stbldPp,
StringBuilder stbldPv, Euler elrGoal, ref int tab  ) instead?

3. it would be nice to be able to see for example an overview of the
variables in a program, a dump of them so to say. I guess that could be
extracted from the IL, but it would be nice to get that from the
compiler.
I would like to see :
3.1.  What variables are declared in what functions, the locations and
the scope.
3.2  What variables are passed into what functions, and where are they
from?

4. Is anyone working on the debugger? because these functions might be
best placed in there.

All in all, I am willing to put some serious effort on my free time to
make pnet a better place for those who want to use it to build
software. The usage of the debugger is essencial, I know it is possible
to use gdb on ilrun, and I am getting better at that, but I am still
not in a position to be productive with it. I would like to help
document how that can be used, but need to have some type of overview
of the major datastructures of the ilrun.... does anything like that
exist?

thanks,

mike

=====