Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:58:43 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rich Baumann wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 14:19, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> > Total jit time for pnetmark is 0.26 seconds, for a test that lasts about
> > 50 seconds: it's irrelevant.

50 seconds ??

> real    0m25.214s
> user    0m23.330s
> sys     0m0.060s
> real    0m24.198s
> user    0m23.630s
> sys     0m0.070s
>

> > > 5 flavours of ilrun builds , your perfomance might vary.
> >
> > Mono is about 3 times faster than the fastest ilrun build, the others
> > are 5 or more times slower.
>

> I'm just not seeing that. What I am seeing is that it's equal in
> execution time. Of course, that was what Gopal was talking about.

I think Paolo might be testing against an outdated version before the
the generic unroller , interface table dispatch and indirections removal
for callvirt . The new release ie 0.5.10 was released only today ...
*Oof*, I almost believed the 3 times faster comment .. :)

So CVM delivers the first output fast and cumulative favours the JIT ...
Hmm.. but I had thought mono would be faster in the total execution
for pnetmark as well ... 8686000 calls to a single method and that
sort of thing.

Anyway , there it stands :)

Thanks Rich,