[DotGNU]DotGNU and Portable.NET - two years on

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]DotGNU and Portable.NET - two years on
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:09:06 +1000

July 27, 2001 marked the day that Portable.NET first joined the GNU Project to
help DotGNU build a compelling alternative to Microsoft's .NET initiative,
based on the work that I had done in the previous six months.

One year ago, the current version of Portable.NET was 0.4.2 and pnetlib 0.2.6
(this was before the great renumbering in November 2002).  Back then, the C#
compiler still wasn't able to build pnetlib.  That all changed in October
2002 when, through the herculean efforts of Gopal V and Jonathan Springer,
the compiler finally turned the corner.

It's been full steam ahead since then.  The pnetlib library is moving ahead by
leaps and bounds - who would have thought a year ago that we would be doing
System.Windows.Forms by now!  The pnet suite is also going from strength to
strength, with ilrun become more solid by the day, and the compiler branching
out to encompass C, Java, VB, and the ever-important BF.

The community has also grown during the last year, with regular contributors
to both pnet and pnetlib.  And the contributions are becoming more
significant - things that really scared me in the compiler and runtime engine
have been picked up by new contributors, who have thrived on the challenge.

So, please join me in celebrating the two year anniversay of our
collaboration.  There are more good things to come.