[DotGNU]alternative base libraries (was Re: Collaboration on alternative

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [DotGNU]alternative base libraries (was Re: Collaboration on alternatives to the US-patent-endangered APIs?)
Date: 15 Oct 2003 10:43:27 +0100

Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> writes:

> That kind of situation would be bad enough that RMS and I think that
> avoiding the possibility of this kind of situation (however unlikely
> it may be) makes the effort of designing and implementing alternative
> APIs appear worthwhile.
>
> Of course, while it is felt that an effort to design an alternative
> API is needed primarily for these "freedom fighter" reasons, it'll
> be a nice bonus if DotGNU can do a better job at API design than
> Microsoft did!

While everyone's interested in alternative APIs, I will again point
everyone to the 2002-09-25 proposal of DotGNUstep, the OpenStep API
implemented in C#:

http://csserver.evansville.edu/~sc87/dotgnu/DotGNUstep-proposal.txt

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly
the functions he is competent to.  It is by dividing and subdividing these
republics from the national one down through all its subordinations, until it
ends in the administration of every man's farm by himself; by placing under
every one what his own eye may superintend, that all will be done for the best.
                -- Thomas Jefferson, to Joseph Cabell, 1816

bootleg BRLO global Jiang Zemin CBNRC spies World Trade Center Leitrim
IRA bullion kilderkin Steve Case HAMASMOIS Geraldton cybercash