Re: [DotGNU]Pnet Winforms for Mono?

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Pnet Winforms for Mono?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:37:18 +1000

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 08:20 am, Radek Polak wrote:

> I did some hacking and tried to port Pnet winforms to Mono, but i had quite
> a lot of problems. Just some of them are here: [...]

To use our System.Windows.Forms with Mono, you must also use our
System.Drawing, DotGNU.Images, System.Drawing.Xsharp, Xsharp, etc.  The only
bits from Mono that you'll be able to reuse are their corlib.dll, System.dll,
and System.Xml.dll libraries.

The reason for this is that we added some extensions to System.Drawing to
support drawing toolkits (Win32, X/Windows, etc).  Mono uses a different
approach, so their System.Drawing cannot be used.

> So I would like to ask now: Is my effort useful? What are opinions on
> porting winforms to Mono? Would Pnet team support these porting efforts? I
> mean if there could be just one code that can be compiled under both Pnet
> and Mono?

We would welcome any patches that would make our SWF more reusable with Mono,
or any other CLI implementation (it does work with MS if you hold your mouth
in the right position :-) ).  Since we don't use Mono regularly ourselves, we
would rely upon others to provide the patches, but I don't have any objection
to including them.