Re: [DotGNU]CIL on top of stack based cpu

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]CIL on top of stack based cpu
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:53:32 +1000

On Thursday 26 February 2004 01:21 pm, address@hidden wrote:

> does anybody think of running CIL on top of stack based cpu,
> such as real Forth chip.
> will the runtime engine be easier to implement compare to
> JIT or interpreter for register based cpu?

The CIL engine is more than just the execution core in the interpreter/JIT.
There's also the program loader, garbage collection system, and hundreds of
native methods, all written in C.

I suppose that it would be possible that a "Forth unroller" for Portable.NET
could be written to unroll CIL/CVM code into Forth stack machine
instructions.  But that's only one small piece of the whole.  Whether the
rest would be better or worse would be anyone's guess.