Re: [DotGNU] fxcop

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [DotGNU] fxcop
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 05:14:59 -0400

Gopal V wrote:

Hi,

Forgive my stupidity but ... How is a defined?

'a' is a String .. which is where this discussion
A String and not a pointer to String object? So, a.Length should always have a valid location in memory? Or is this how C# is different than C++?

Since short circuited logical expressions came with
C , everybody assumes that a != null && a.Length == 0
will not throw a null ref exception, but that may
not always be the case in *all* languages. But in C#
it is.

Yes I'm familiar with the short circuit but is it really needed in this case? Being that a is not a pointer to a String object.

Earnie

--
http://www.mingw.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw