[DotGNU]Savannah group membership and patches

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Savannah group membership and patches
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:16:03 +1000

A number of people recently have sent in requests to be added as Savannah
group members in the dotgnu-pnet and other projects.  Usually for the purpose
of submitting patches.

It isn't necessary to be a group member to submit patches.  The Savannah patch
system accepts patches from any user, even anonymous ones (although we prefer
that you log in or otherwise indicate who wrote the patch so that we can
properly credit you in the ChangeLog).

Patches are reviewed by developers with CVS write access, usually Gopal or
myself, and then either committed or marked for further discussion.  (Logging
in when you submit a patch ensures that you will be notified when further
discussion is required).

Group membership is reserved for those with CVS write access.  This is
conferred by Gopal and I on high-volume contributors who have a history of
committing good patches and it has become burdensome for us to keep
processing their patches manually.

We also suggest that all pnet developers subscribe to the
"address@hidden" mailing list.  All bugs and patches are
forwarded to that list, together with updates on their status.  If you see a
bug fly by and you want to fix it, then great - test it out on your system
and then submit a patch.  The easiest way to generate a patch is to use "cvs
diff -u file" on your local repository.

One more note: if you have a patch for an unreported bug, then it isn't
necessary to report a bug and then submit the patch.  Just submit the patch
with a note on it describing the bug that has been fixed.  Otherwise someone
else might jump in and try to fix the bug too, leading to confusion.