[DotGNU] Viable options for pocket pc and compact framework development?

From: Fredrik Jonson
Subject: [DotGNU] Viable options for pocket pc and compact framework development?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:22:00 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to find a future-safe and legal[2] work flow for developing
applications for Pocket PC on linux. If this is of topic for this
mailinglist, pleas let me know. I tried to find a dotgnu portable.net
_user_ mailinglist, but if it exists it eluded me.

My hope was to use dotgnu and the pnetlib, the compact framework
version, to develop the application, and then somehow crosscompile it
for the pocket pc.

I found a discussion on this list from 2004[0], and I found Vitaliy
Pronkin's port of the dotgnu environment to the Pocket PC[1]. But it
still leaves me a bit uncertain as how feasable it is.

Since 2004 has there been any progress on incorporating Vitalys port or
make any cross compiling environment for dotgnu on the Pocket PC?

Otherwise, the only mean I have to completely avoid any Microsoft tools,
while developing for Pocket PC is:

 1. Implementation and verification is possible with dotgnu pnet lib,
    using the compact profile.
 2. Then, to make a PocketPC executable, the only option is to transfer
    the source code to the pocket pc client (an ipaq 6500 in this case)
    and compile it using Vitalys tools.

Is all this a correct interpretation, or is anyone aware of any other
possibilities for me to explore? Any kind of cross platform compilation
would be ideal.

[0] http://dotgnu.org/pipermail/pnet-developers/2004-October/001790.html
[1] http://pocketgcc.sourceforge.net/pcsharp/
[2] I've read the MS user agreementents on the mobile/.net compact
    framework sdk, and as far as I understand it, I'm not allowed to use
    it without a license for MS VS .Net Professional.

    Besides, I'd really really want to avoid giving MS 700$ for something
    I don't like in the first place. =)

TIA & regards,
--
Fredrik Jonson