Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 14:43:13 -0800 (PST)

your arguments are very convincing rhys, but I dont think I made myself
clear :

My issue is with the error message, not the reason for the error
message.

The error says, virtual memory exausted. This is wrong and misleading.
therefore it is a bug. The solution would be to throw the right
exception for the right error.

That is why we need to keep this bug open until that is fixed, even if
it is a oneliner.

mike

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2003 02:46 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > tells me the real error. But the last line threw me off.
> >
> > I did not explain myself correctly, and I did not understand that
> the
> > virtual memory was the result of the type not being found.
> >
> > Can you please reopen the bug, or should I log a new one?
>
> The problem here is that there isn't much that we can do about it.
> In
> "-nostdlib" mode, the compiler assumes that the user's program is
> supplying
> all of the standard classes (Object, ValueType, Array, Int32, etc)
> that the
> compiler needs for minimal functionality.  In your test case, you are
> not
> supplying any of these.
>
> If a standard class doesn't exist, then a function deep in the
> compiler code
> will return NULL.  This will then confuse higher-level code into
> thinking
> that the system is out of memory since NULL is also reported in that
> case.
> The NULL tests are scattered all over the code.
>
> Since this issue will only occur when a user deliberately tries to
> build
> mscorlib.dll incorrectly, it is easier to treat it as a quirk and
> tell users
> to avoid using "-nostdlib" incorrectly.  The mscorlib.dll assembly
> cannot be
> built in pieces: it is an interlocked whole that must be built in one
> go.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.

=====