RE : [Pnet-developers] [Bug #4014] [0.5.8] Hard limit for bytecode size

From: Yannis BRES
Subject: RE : [Pnet-developers] [Bug #4014] [0.5.8] Hard limit for bytecode size is different in VM bytecode verifier and ilverify
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:40:47 +0200

     Hi !

> > It would be nice to increase this limit, but also to provide a
> > command-line option to set it.
> There already is such an option.  e.g. "ilrun --stack-size
> 32" will set the limit to 32k instead.
     I was not talking about the stack size but the bytecode size :  there
does not seem to be any option in this respect...
     If you can give me hint about where the constant for this limit is
defined, I could add this option...

> > In the same fashion, the default 8K limit for stack
> > is ridiculous :  we work on functional language compilation, and
> > recursion can be quite deep when functions are not automatically
> > derecursived.  In a more general way, think of a merge sort on a
> > linked list...
> Feel free to make a suggestion as to what the default should be.
     Default stack size for Win32 binaries is 1Mb.  I don't know for sure
for .NET binaries, but I guess it's about the same...

          Yannis

ESSI                                    http://www.essi.fr
Attaché Temporaire d'Enseignement et de Recherche
INRIA  -  Equipe Mimosa                 http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa
Collaborateur Extérieur                 +33 (4) 92 38 79 67
+33 (6) 60 38 79 52                     http://www.yannis.bres.name