[Pnet-developers] Re: Trouble with install on Mac OS X

From: Enrique Zamudio
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Re: Trouble with install on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:40:20 -0500

"Jason King" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hey Enrique, thanks for your help. In a nutshell, with your help I have now
> solved the problem, but in a slightly different fashion.
>
> 2. Thanks for the tip on "Make" versus "Make all".  Optional question: is
> there a difference?

I think not...

> 3. Again, optional, but I am not sure what "rehash" does and I can't find
> any man pages on it.  If you have time, would appreciate an explanation.

rehash is part of csh (or tcsh, not sure). When csh starts, it creates a
table of all executable programs in the path. If you add a new one, you
won't be able to run it without typing the full path, unless you use the
rehash command, which re-creates that table.
I can't remember where I saw that.

> 4. Thank you for your explicit explanation of adding the path to .cshrc
> file. I know how to set up paths!  Furthermore, I have gone a stage further
> and indeed edited the /etc/csh.login file which I understand runs whenever
> anyone logs in (I got this from the man pages for "tcsh").  I appreciate
> also that the path pointing to X11R6 may not be found if you don't have XWin
> stuff installed, and that if you don't, then no harm done.

Well, it seems that you need X11 to build pnetlib, unless rhys has patched
the makefile for Xsharp and windows.forms...

> 5. It seems that I did not in fact need to update those other tools you
> mention.

good. I don't know why I needed to update them. Specially libtool; I
couldn't build anything until I updated all that stuff.

Glad to have helped.

eZL