RE : RE : RE : [Pnet-developers] System.NotImplementedException when imp

From: Yannis BRES
Subject: RE : RE : RE : [Pnet-developers] System.NotImplementedException when implementing Environment.GetSpecialFolder
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:17:32 +0200

     Hi !

> But in fitting in with "Portable.net" motto , I do think this
> needs a lot of re-ordering of code before I commit it 2 days
> before a release. I hate it when Rhys or someone rewrites my
> patches , but it just has to get cleaner as we reach near the
> release dates . So I hope you won't mine me juggling with
> your functions , names etc... keeping the logic the same ?
     Actually, I planned to tell you that this code would probably need some
reordering in order to fit your standards, but I didn't have time.  So I
guess I don't mind ;-)

> +#else
> +  /* TODO for non-Win32 OSes */
> +  return null;
> +#endif
> was supposed to return NULL;
     Ouch !  Mixing C/C++ and Java/C#...
     By the way, an empty string would be better.

     Still by the way, isn't there somewhere a shared empty string ?  There
is one in System.String.Empty.  This wouldn't be a huge speed-up, but why
loosing time in allocating memory and adding another reference for the GC to
manage for such things ?

> Ok, also another Portable.net policy is to never #ifdef a
> platform inside the internal calls , all the system specific
> code should be moved to the support/ directory. Before I
> commit this code , I'll do so and create a
> new ILPathGetSpecialFolder() function.
     I'll try to remember that :-).

> Also the IL_SP_* stuff is better done as (a set of macros +
> set of enums) due to 2 reasons . A macro is for communication
> between engine and support. And the enum for engine and C# .
> Also gcc does give better error checking when handling enums
> in switch statement . Also this will be
> similar to the general design of the rest of the enums used
> in lib_*.c files , for an API coherence.
     I would have definitly written an enum, but I took inspiration from a
similar set of constants that were nearby...

> If the platform does not have GetFolder support , we run into an
> important problem . Figuring that out is point #2 though..
> see my reply to Pascal Hauser's mail.
     Where ?

     Best regards,
          Yannis

ESSI                                    http://www.essi.fr
Attache Temporaire d'Enseignement et de Recherche
INRIA  -  Equipe Mimosa                 http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa
Collaborateur Exterieur                 +33 (4) 92 38 79 67
+33 (6) 60 38 79 52                     http://www.yannis.bres.name