[Pnet-developers] Performance and threads

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Performance and threads
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:42:33 +1000

A number of people have reported performance problems lately that have been
very puzzling to me because I don't see the same problem here.

Marcus Urban noticed today that turning off threading in pnet seems to
increase performance quite significantly on RedHat 9.  But his SuSE box is
fine with threads enabled.  Even on apps that are using only one thread.

The main difference seems to be the NPTL thread library: RH 9 has it and SuSE
doesn't (yet).  Since I'm running older non-NPTL RedHat and Mandrake systems
here, I don't see a performance problem.

The long and the short of it is that I need someone to investigate this to try
to figure out why NPTL has worse performance than non-NPTL.  It could be any
of a number of things.  You can try swapping in a newer version of libgc.  Or
fiddling with the signal handling in "pnet/support/pt_defs.c", or the pnet
monitor implementation.  Or something else.  I really have no idea right now
what the problem is.

Do I have a volunteer?

Cheers,

Rhys.