Re: [Pnet-developers] IL tree dump routine

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] IL tree dump routine
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:52:59 +1000

On Sunday 24 October 2004 12:29 am, Peter \"Firefly\" Lund wrote:
> I suppose there is a routine somewhere for dumping (parts of) an IL tree
> to a file or stdout or whatever.

I assume that you are referring to the tree nodes in the compiler.  Such a
feature does not exist.

To understand how the tree is processed node by node, look at the parser
(cs_grammar.y or c_grammar.y) for the language construct in question.  Then
grep the *.tc files for that node name to see the other passes for that node.

Yes, the documentation for the compiler design is sparse.  I recommend
starting with the treecc documentation to familiarise yourself with the
paradigm.  Then move on to "cg_nodes.tc", and the other files in "codegen".
You should then have a basic understanding.  Also look at "cscc/HACKING",
which describes the plugin mechanism.

Cheers,

Rhys.