Re: [Pnet-developers] [patch #3599] ildasm offsets

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [patch #3599] ildasm offsets
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:14:29 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thursday 01 January 1970 10:00 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > It should be turned into a command line option
> > for ildasm. This is needed information for debugging verifier
> information.
> > Any *user* of ildasm who is debugging verifier issues will want to
> have
> > this information.
>
> Right now, "any user of ildasm" seems to be just you.  I've never had
> any
> trouble matching up the offsets when these issues have occurred in
> the past.

I understand you point. This is for help debugging the ilverify
problems. For the amount of trouble that i have had trying to find the
problems in nemerele, this was needed. The developers of nemerele will
also be using this patch to help port thier tool to dotgnu/pnet.

The pnet error messages are still not on the level of the gcc,
alot of useful information is missing that forces me to run the
debugger. When porting mono to pnet yesterday, I spent hours chasing
misleading messages.

I have been thinking about a new tool for reporting ilverify results in
great detail. My opinion is that the results of ilverify are still to
cryptic. I would like to work on a much more verbose output that allows
the user to understand what is going on.

> By the way, I'm still waiting on that patch for "sizeof" in the C
> compiler,
> which you promised to work on that over a month ago.  And I even told
> you
> where to apply the fix.  It shouldn't have taken you more than a few
> days.

Yes, but you will have to wait a bit longer. Please refer to my plan
that i posted to the dotgnu mailling list

I am batching my work, trying to get results first. I am only fixing
bugs that are showstoppers, via simple workarounds. you may call this
selfish. Please dont pressure me, I need time to get up to speed.

BUT, I intend on fixing all open bugs that I have posted.
Please understand that I am slowly getting back into the pnet.
I would like to help more.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont