Re: [Pnet-developers] Garbage Collector

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Garbage Collector
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:06:26 +0100

On Thursday 03 March 2005 06:36, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I just noticed that WeakReferences don't work as
> > expected on pnet. I've then
> > looked why and traced the root to the Boehm GC which
> > doesn't seem to know about weak references. Is
> > that correct ?
>
> You'd have to ask Tum or Rhys to be sure ... From
> what I can see, it does call the
> register_disappearing_link ?.

Well, a small test application confirmed that WeakReferences don't work, and I
just had a quick look so I don't know why exactly they don't work... my guess
was that the Boehm GC is the culprit ;-)

> > IIRC someone noted that a new GC is in the works,
> > what's the state of this ?
>
> It's still mostly on paper and in my head .. Need to
> settle down on my new job before I get back to
> hacking.
>
> > If it'll take some more months for this new GC to
> > finally appear,
>
> Expect a year or so for me to get it to production
> quality.

Okay, then I'll try to get the WeakReference support with our current GC
working when I've got time... I hope that I can do that next week.

> Gopal

C'ya,
        Marc

--