[Pnet-developers] Pnet (DotGNU) IDE

From: Radek Polak
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Pnet (DotGNU) IDE
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:54:28 +0200

Hello,
i am playing for some time with idea of writing library that can do basic Itegrated Develepment Environment (IDE) stuff.

I basicly want:

- syntax highlighting
- code completion
- method parameters insight
- show documentation for any symbol
- find definition and find references any symbol

This IDE library can be then used for C# Eclipse plugin, Xacc or any other IDE.

I was playing with Eclipse and Ilfind for code completion, you can see some screenshots http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~polakr/pnet/ but to make it work really good, I need a C# parser.

First i looked at parser from SharpDevelop or Monodevelop, but they seem to be bounded too much with winforms/gtk-sharp.

My second look was at pnet parser. It looks really fine to me and I maybe it's excatly what i need - but i am not sure ;-) I already know how to load a .dll library or compile some piece of code and iterate classes and methods - at this point i can build code completion database.

But i want to go further - i have a source code and i want to go inside methods. For example i want to know what symbol is at line xxx of source code. If it is variable, then i want to know it's type and where is that type defined. I want to know which namespaces are in "using" section and so on...

I would like to ask:
Is it possible to use pnet parser for this?
Where should i start if i want do implement let's say syntax highlighting for source file?
Can you draft how such a program should look like?
- I think it will be similar to csdoc.
- I think i just need my version for GenerateDocs() function.
- I assume that all the information i want is in ILNode *tree.
- I already know how to itearate types, methods and fields in this tree.
- I don't how to step inside methods and iterate local variables, comments and other statements. - I will be probably using function yygetlinenum() to determine position in source file.

Thanks for any help

Radek