[Pnet-developers] Changed enhanced profiler behaviour

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Changed enhanced profiler behaviour
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:26:30 +0100

Hi folks,
I just committed a change to the enhanced profiler:

If enhanced profiling is enabled (with ./configure
--enable-enhanced-profiling) ilrun won't count the method calls with -M any
more, only when -E is given as well or when
DotGNU.Misc.Profiling.StartProfiling () is called.

The reason is that with the old behaviour plus using the Profiling class gave
you wrong/useless numbers: e.g. consider this code:

for (int i=0; i < 10; i++) DoSomething ();
Profiling.StartProfiling ();
for (int i=0; i < 5; i++) DoSomething ();
Profiling.StopProfiling ();

DoSomething is called 15 times, and until today ilrun would count 15 calls but
only 5 got their times measured. With the changes I've checked in only the
last 5 calls get measured and counted, making the enhanced profiler way more
useful (and correct).

A very nice side effect is that the profiler statistics get way shorter when
profiling dynamically which really makes a difference if you've got a huge
programm and only want to profile certain method calls.

I've updated README.profiling accordingly.

C'ya,
        Marc

--
Marc Haisenko