[Pnet-developers] [bug #19237] pnet-0.8.0 configuration may fail to reco

From: anonymous
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bug #19237] pnet-0.8.0 configuration may fail to recognize the correct thread model under glibc>=2.4
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:10:43 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #19237 (project dotgnu-pnet):

Hi,

just having some spare time and looked at libgc docs.

I don't know if you have done some progress on this.

As far as I seem to understand, gc requires *explicit* thread support
option.
>From README.QUICK:
"If you need thread support, you will need to either follow the special
platform-dependent instructions (win32), or add a suitable define option as
described in Makefile."

On the other hand, pnet configure switches thread support on if it finds the
conditions.

So:
=> either you change pnet idea about thread support, making it     require an
explicit option to be supplied (and change accordingly installation
instructions)
=> or you change gc configure to make it guess, similarly to pnet's
configure

>From the installer's point of view (i.e. me) I would say it's better and
cleaner that thread support is switched on based on (intelligent) guess: so
one just says ./configure and all the available features found on the system
are included. (if one
does NOT want an otherwise available feature, then that's her responsibility
to explicitly disable it, isn't it?) Well, I guess that this is the reason
why autoconf has been created, after all.

I don't know what is the best way to implement this: perhaps call gc's
configure with --enable-threads if pnet's configure has found the good
conditions...

Hope to be of any use
Ciao
Gabriele