[Pnet-developers] [bug #20250] Garbage Collector Doesn't Reclaim Memory

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bug #20250] Garbage Collector Doesn't Reclaim Memory
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:07:45 +0000

Follow-up Comment #6, bug #20250 (project dotgnu-pnet):

I apologize if I misunderstand you, but:

"heapsize" refers to the size of the heap, not the number of allocated bytes
in the heap; it includes free bytes.

This number is only loosely associated with bytes allocated.  For example, if
a GC finds infant mortality is too low, it may increase the size of the heap
to reduce GC frequency, even though the survivors always fit in the previous,
smaller heap.  There are many other issues that you can read about elsewhere
on GC design.

Your logs show that the GC is operating fairly conservatively with respect to
heapsize, preferring more collections to more memory usage, so you are not
likely to benefit much from munmap.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?20250>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/