[Dotgnu-pnet] stupid question: mono + pnet = fubar?

From: Gabriel M. Elder
Subject: [Dotgnu-pnet] stupid question: mono + pnet = fubar?
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:29:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

I just installed portable.net & pnetlib 0.8.0 from the source tarballs onto my
fedora 8 box. Treecc and pnet passed their checks, but the "make check" for
pnetlib resulted in:

1 tests run, 1 tests failed
FAIL: TestForms.dll
===================
1 of 1 tests failed
===================

I already had the mono packages installed, including the mono-winforms. It's
been a while since I've played with the mono winforms, so unfortunately, I
cannot say for certain that it was working anytime very recently. But I do know
I had one simple winform gui app working at one point, and now it doesn't
compile with either mcs or cscc. All the simple program does is instantiate and
show a MessageBox with a MessageBoxButtons.OK:

using System;
using System.Windows.Forms;

class helloWorld2
{
   static void Main()
   {
      MessageBox.Show("Hello World!\n(Part II)", "Hello World 2",
            MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information);
   }
}

cscc says:
./helloworld.cs:14: `MessageBox' is not declared in the current scope
./helloworld.cs:14: called object is not a method or delegate

mcs says:
./helloworld.cs(8,7): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Windows' does
not exist in the namespace `System'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./helloworld.cs(8,1): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Windows.Forms'
could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I (perhaps naively, and erroneously) thought that the two subsystems were
sufficiently independent of each other (everything from pnet is installed in
/usr/local/), such that the two could coexist with minimal or no interference
with regard to each other's operation. So is this cross-contamination, or is
some other problem at work here?
Do I need ml-pnet? I want to test out mono and pnet using their own libraries,
not each other's. I want to see how well each one works, on their own.

So... how badly is this screwed up, and what course of action would you
suggest?I'm thinking about uninstalling both, then reinstalling one or the
other, depending on which one I feel like trying out at a given point in time.
But that's cumbersome. LMK what you think.

tia,
- gabriel