dr-geo

Re: [Dr-geo] Using Qt

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [Dr-geo] Using Qt
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:07:19 +0100

Hi Gurjot

> This might be seem abrupt but what if we use Qt for Dr. Geo.

Please do not do this.  The GNU Coding Standards call for the use of
GTK+ as a graphical toolkit.  In fact, the entire reason that Dr. Geo
went unmaintained in the first place is that the original author decided
to port the codebase to Qt; since this was against the coding standards,
it was decided that we would retain the GTK+ version while the original
author continued to maintain his Qt version.

Therefore, not only would making a Qt version be against the coding
standards but it would also be duplicating the work that the original
author has already done and effectively creating yet another version.
Furthermore, nearly complete rewrites like this can rarely be
recommended anyway.  Better to build from the work that has already gone
into the project than to start over from scratch.

In fact, I would recommend opening up some communication with the
original author, who is still actively maintaining his Qt version.

Thanks,
Brandon Invergo