dragora-devel

Re: [Dragora-devel] A big change

From: Matias A. Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-devel] A big change
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:51:00 -0300

El Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:41:42 +0100
address@hidden escribió:
> On 2015-10-11 18:54, Matias A. Fonzo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I hope you're well.  :-)
> >
> > I do not know what happened before, meditating on the night,
> > I realized that Dragora is going to nowhere without a community.
> > Especially for a distribution created from scratch.  It is time to
> > encourage the Dragora community!
> >
> > Discuss and inform about what is happening inside and see where we
> > go, or where we want to.
> >
> > I don't pretend TO BE the community, I want to join as anyone else.
> > The power must be used to be of benefit to the community, and give
> > the good example.  I don't want to be alone in this adventure and
> > fun! I hope you join too ...
> >
> > Thanks for all!
>
> I think Dragora has a small but stable community already and offers
> things no other libre distribution does. That's why I use it.

I know, but Dragora is a semi-closed project.  Eventually I think that
this is not very good for any free software.  At least, we have to
communicate or transmit what we are doing, or from where we want to
start, etc.  These discussions and interchange of ideas must be
available to the public -- this is already done through this mailing
list and its Archives (mailman).

The reason is also to invite other people interested, it can bring
experience, ideas, suggestions, good reviews, opinions.

> I see it as bleeding edge of the Linux-libre world in terms of it's
> longer term out look.  Simple, stable, secure and as non-monolithic
> as possible by using the key elements of the unix philosophy.
> Dragora 2.2 has been the most stable distribution I've ever used bar
> none.
>
> I know development of Dragora 3 has been slow and we would like
> things to be able to speed it up and how that's done I'm not 100%
> sure.  I've never felt it was not open for new people to come and
> join but I do think there are areas that can be worked on to
> encourage or make Dragora more attractive to the wider free software
> community with out loosing sight of it's core values.

"Attraction" is not a goal in itself.  Attracting users is a
side-effect of quality of what we have in the distribution,
website, community, ...

(but I see what do you mean.  :-)

> Here are a few things I think  that would help speed up development
> by encouraging  people to contribute.
>
> 1. Be more active in the Linux-libre world. Promote our selves.  Lets
> do things that are fun and promote what we are, what we want and why
> we're doing it. e.g. Host a dopewars fight night and invite other
> libre-distros users to it. “Friday fight night” post sceenshots of
> your desktop etc.

Sounds good, but for this to happen we must act as a community,
collectively.  I find it hard to be everywhere, even when there is a
lot to learn, the truth is that making and maintaining a distribution
from scratch is a difficult(hard) task.

> 2. An overview statement of the thoughts and ideas behind Dragora 3.
> The why's and where fores design aims and goals. What makes D3 better
> than an up dated D2.2?  We're going to use “X” and it does this
> fantastically and “Y” because it's so much more stable and “Z”
> because “D” is a monolithic pile of poo. Etc, etc. Then post it on
> the front page. 3. An Alpha iso. Give folks something to play with,
> something to share, something to break and fix! And make distro-watch
> up date our page so at least we don't look dead.

This is more like inform / discuss / act.  We can discuss how the
website should be, the content to include, software tools (wiki
engine).  While the new version is communicated, discussed and
developed.

I do not say in this specific order, we will see up to getting
accommodated, to organize.

All the best,
Matias

--
GPG pub ID = 0x3AAF1CEC203A99D5
Key servers = hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net - keys.gnupg.net