dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Roadmap for Dragora 3.0 -beta2?

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Roadmap for Dragora 3.0 -beta2?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 20:19:01 -0300

El 2020-09-12 10:19, Kevin "The Nuclear" Bloom escribió:
Michael Siegel writes:

Am 09.09.20 um 23:41 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
El 2020-09-09 14:43, Michael Siegel escribió:
Hi selk,

a few quick comments and ideas from my side.

Am 08.09.20 um 23:31 schrieb Matias Fonzo:

[...]
Also, I like TDE, but is it really strictly necessary to have it
available and fully supported for -beta2? Wouldn't it be enough to offer
a browser to use with Xfce, maybe GNU Icecat?

Strictly no, but complete enough to work well.  The basis of TDE and
something else, "complete" TDE is many things...

Xfce was included and then moved to testing[1].  This is because if I
remember correctly, it involves a number of annoying dependencies, such as polkit, consolekit and I don't remember what else. Also "gvfs" that
has several dependencies.

TDE doesn't require any of this, and is more stable and complete than Xfce.

[1] http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/dragora.git/tree/testing/recipes

I see, I'm all for TDE then. :)

About GNU IceCat: I thought that project was sort of dead. But there
seems to have been some serious activity on getting together the IceCat
78 release, recently:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuzilla-dev/2020-09/msg00008.html

I have heard many people don't care for IceCat. Not 100% sure why but
I think that Seamonkey or a full webkit browser would be best.

Because it is more stable (conservative). And it doesn't need so much updating or synchronization to keep up with Firefox.

IceCat is better in terms of software freedom, the downside is that there is not a 100% dedicated maintainer to publish such versions or synchronizations on a daily basis...

Some adjustments have to be made in the Dragora installer so that it can search for packages, series and offer them to the user for installation. At the moment I think I will omit the selection of package-by-package, since there were several changes for Qi and package names, you have to put a lot of detail and attention, energy to make this part go well. I
think it's more than enough that the user is offered a complete
installation, or can at least select the series of packages, since the
packages can be removed later.. at least for now.

Hm… If there would be any way to avoid removing that feature I'd be
really happy because I would definitely use it. I'd say that having to
remove packages I didn't want in the first place later is kind of
burdening me as a user.

Agree.

What exactly makes it complicated to implement/keep this feature?

When I implemented it, I remember that it was a lot of work, detail and
attention.  This is sensitive because if it is not well done, you can
lose a package or ruin something.

I will try to look at it in a fresh way, because given the changes in
Qi, the restructuring, the package names, I have to rewrite this part in the installer[2] and the script that generates the package list for the
installer[3].

[2]
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/dragora.git/plain/archive/dragora-installer/parts/InstallPackages

[3] http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/dragora.git/plain/packages/makeTags

Okay, I'll try to have a closer look at those. Maybe I can provide some
useful suggestions.

As far as documentation on the website goes, I think it's best to
discuss this in its own thread. Maybe I'll find the time to start that
over the weekend.

--Michael