Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity feature suggestions

From: duplicity
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity feature suggestions
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:00:52 -0700

You can use the "--archive-dir" option to store sigtars locally. Since these are the largest meta-info files, this speeds up backup times greatly, especially on slow links. The downside is that if you lose the sigtars, you can only do a full-restore.

Normal behavior is:
* Files remotely in encrypted "difftars".
* Manifests remotely encrypted.
* Sigtars remotely encrypted.

"--archive-dir" behavior is:
* Files remotely in encrypted "difftars".
* Manifests locally uncompressed and remotely encrypted.
* Sigtars locally gzipped.

  -seren

Jan Rychter wrote:
[reposting directly to the list, as it seems postings sent via Gmane
 disappear into a black hole somewhere...]

I've been using duplicity for a while now, having first tried it about a
year ago and having recently come back to it. Here is a brief wishlist
of features that would make it work much better for me. Hopefully
someone will find this useful.

-- Store local copies of manifests and signature files. These files do
   not change and their size still makes it acceptable to cache them
   locally. It would speed the backup process immensely if I could tell
   duplicity to just keep them stored locally as well, and only download
   from the server when the local copies are missing.

-- Provide some way to recover from an aborted first backup, or provide
   a way to do this first backup in stages. I have a 50GB filesystem I
   need to backup and 50GB of space on another continent where I'd like
   this data to land. I can't use duplicity for that. There is simply no
   way to do the first backup without it being interrupted by something
   -- a network glitch, usually. As it stands now, I simply cannot
   backup that data.

Other than that duplicity works very well for me (for smaller backups)!

--J.