[Duplicity-talk] A couple easy questions

From: mike
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] A couple easy questions
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:08:24 -0800

1. Does duplicity need a gpg keyring all setup, or can it simply use
the PASSPHRASE environment variable as the string to encrypt with?

2. My assumption is that if the source data ever got corrupt (or a few
files therein - doesn't matter how many) that they would be detected
during the comparison phase and transferred as a new file (or a delta,
I suppose) - which means that I could still restore the file
pre-corruption by using the -t / --restore-time switch.

3. I haven't seen it specified but the archives are compressed using
gzip, correct? Not just tar+gpg, but tar+gzip+gpg? The compression
could happen during the GPG encryption too I suppose, I just want to
make sure that my archives are being compressed, using -9 (best
encryption) if possible. I don't see any switches to disable
compression or to change the compression ratio.

4. Is there a way to disable deltas and transfer the whole file if a
file has changed? Not do a "full backup" but just a full copy of the
file. That could be useful (especially if things like corruption can
break or confuse a delta enough to wreck the previous versions)

5. I can consider this to be fully "versioned" since I can go back any
time during the history of the archives, correct? Even if I do a
nightly sync and it has 365 different incremental changesets, I can go
back any time and restore from any point during that time, as well as
from what I read, duplicity allows a full restore anytime and takes
care of handling the merging of all the incremental changes for you,
right?

6. Okay and one last question :) Are there any plans to look into
porting this to Windows? Currently it looks like it requires a full
Cygwin install. Before I go and see if some rent-a-coder folks can
port this (using py2exe or something else perhaps) so it is basically
standalone (it might need the Cygwin DLL still I suppose, but
otherwise no Python + full Cygwin install) I just want to make sure
nobody else is mid-process on this. I would be more than happy to try
to get something like that made, and then share it back with the
community.

Thanks a lot - so far this looks very promising as the solution I've
been looking for.

- mike