Re: [Duplicity-talk] Read a tar from a pipe?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Read a tar from a pipe?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:16:24 -0500

Guillaume Filion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup an offsite backup replication system. I mounted the
> encrypted offsite filesystem to /var/backuppc-offsite/
>
> Right now I'm doing this:
> cd /var/backuppc/tmp/
> rm -rf /var/backuppc/tmp/*
> BackupPC_tarCreate -h andre -n 684 -s \* . | tar -x
> duplicity --no-encryption /var/backuppc/tmp/ \
>   file:///var/backuppc-offsite/andre/
>
> I would like to use a pipe instead:
> BackupPC_tarCreate -h andre -n 684 -s \* . | \
>   duplicity --no-encryption tar file:///var/backuppc-offsite/andre/
>
> I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to do with "stock" duplicity, but
> I'm wondering if it would be at all possible and how hard it would be to
> modify the code to do this.

I do not understand what you're trying to do.  A pipe would allow you to
send a single file to duplicity, which would then merely place it in the
output backup directory, along with the other files that duplicity
creates.  I don't see the advantage of any of that, especially since
you're not even doing encryption.

What exactly does BackupPC_tarCreate do?  What do you want duplicity to
do with a single pipe interface?

...Ken