Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is passphrase required to write backups?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is passphrase required to write backups?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:16 -0500

James Utter wrote:
> On 24/10/2007, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The the password prompt issue was fixed in 0.4.4.RC2.  RC4 is currently
>> available at http://duplicity.nongnu.org/.  It will only ask for the
>> password in cases where its needed.

Whoops, RC3 is available now, RC4 will be next.

> --full suppresses the request for a passphrase (otherwise duplicity
> still asks for it, even on a fresh backup), but the command is still
> failing.

The default is --incremental in the absence of any specifier and that
does require a password.  Duplicity falls back to --full if it needs to
do so.  I need to see if we can suppress the password prompt in that one
case since the rest are handled.

> ~$ duplicity --encrypt-key 82C98841 --full --exclude ~/Files/
> /home/james/ scp://address@hidden:~/backup

1) Try running this with the -v9 option and posting the results (all of
them from the command line to the end).

2) The tilde in the target URL is where the alternate port should be if
you need to specify it, i.e. address@hidden:2222 to use port 2222 for ssh.
 This looks like something duplicity should have flagged as an error.
Try expanding the tilde.

> Note: using a symmetric key does not fail.

This tells me that the key you're using requires a passphrase.  If you
encrypt with that key, does it ask for a passphrase?  Duplicity will not
ask for the passphrase when using --encrypt-key.

> P.S. It is slightly confusing that when not specifying a GPG Key,
> (i.e. you are using symmetric encryption) you get the prompt "GnuPG
> passphrase". Shouldn't it say "Symmetric passphrase:" ?

Possibly.  Both go through GnuPG, so both are GnuPG passphrases.

...Ken