Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir does not download deleted local signa

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir does not download deleted local signature files
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:09:22 -0600

Richard Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly I'd like to say hello to this group and let you know that I think
> Duplicity is a fantastic
> tool!
>
> However, I've been having trouble with the --archive-dir option so I opened a
> bug
> (http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?21600).... but then figured it better to
> talk via the mailing
> list ;-)
>
> I am using the --archive-dir option when making a full backup in an effort to
> save bandwidth and
> keep a local version of my signature files. With this option activated all
> backups work ok and the
> signature files are created and stored in my local archive-dir and on the
> remote server.
>
> Now, if I delete the local signature files duplicity doesn't see the remote
> ones exist! I would
> have thought duplicity would check the remote site for copies and then
> download them?
>
> What I am finding is that duplicity reverts back to doing a brand new full
> backup as it can't find
> any signature files (either local as they were deleted or in the remote
> store).
>
> I have been testing with a very minimal command line i.e.
>
> duplicity --archive-dir=/tmp/duplicity \
> --short-filenames \
> --no-encryption \
> /etc \
> scp://address@hidden/${DIR}
>
> On the 3rd execution of this commenad I get orphaned signature files and
> loose any existing backup
> data :-(
>
> My process is as follows performing 3 executions of duplicity and a delete
> command in between:
>
> 1. 1st run will create a full backup.
>
> 2. 2nd run will automatically detected it should do an incremental backup and
> complete ok.
>
> 2.5 now I delete the local signature files
>
> 3. I now run it again and expect it to download the remote signature files
> and complete its next
> incremental backup.
>
> However, on the 3rd run I get the following error:
>
> Warning, found the following orphaned signature files:
> dns.jrngar.jrngd4.st.z
> No signatures found, switching to full backup.
>
> This is not what I figured it should do as I think it should download the
> remote signature files
> and keep them in the archive-dir selected for the next time we need them.
>
> How do I tell duplicity that I want it to use and download the remote
> signature files??
>
> Am I doing something silly? ;-(

It probably should download the remote sigs, but it was not written to
do that.  It would be easy enough to copy all the sigtar files back if
that's what you want to do.

I need to check to see why it did not do an incremental on the 3rd run.
 It should have, even if you deleted the local sigs.

...Ken