Re: [Duplicity-talk] asynchronous-uploads

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] asynchronous-uploads
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:23:05 +0100

> I've been looking at the asynchronous-upload option and I'd like to ask if
> --asynchronous-upload
> allows for unlimited retrying to upload volumes from the tempdir?

The same retry logic is used regardless of whether
--asynchronous-upload is used or not. So whatever number of retries
would normally be attempted, will be attempted - but in the background.

(That said there is a bug that I unfortunately introduced which causes
failure to be reported too late; a patch is submitted and I presume
it'll be in the next release.)

> Would setting --num-retries=0 get duplicity to retry uploads forever?

No, that just means it fails immediately if the first attempt fails.

> Also, what would happen if the tempdir ran out of space during a retry-upload
> period? Obviously
> duplicity is creating new volumes in this directory and then uploading them
> as and when it can. Is
> duplicity clever enough to figure out it won't have enough space to make the
> next volume until a
> cached volume is uploaded and removed from tempdir?

Normally, only a single volume is ever in the temp dir at the same
time. With --asynchronous-upload, up to two volumes may be in the
tempdir. In the future when concurrent upload is supported, up to n +
1, where n is the concurrency, volumes will be kept.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden