Re: [Duplicity-talk] Scp calls

From: AJ Weber
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Scp calls
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:13:09 -0500

Yeah, that would be true (and maybe I should change volsize...I left it at the default...), but I would need to edit some of the code -- and would have to FIND that code first -- to insert the port-knock just before each scp connection. If it were using one, persistent connection the whole way through, then I can put it in my bash script just before the duplicity command-line, not have to edit the duplicity source.

Thus, my comment about openvpn was not that it's more-or-less secure, but that I could open one tunnel to the target (after one port-knock), run all my duplicity backups, then exit the vpn connection, leaving the server with zero open ports while it's not consuming backups (or restoring). But, as you said, I'm not sure it's worth the extra setup; it's not _that_ much work, but the KISS principle applies with backup/restore scenarios, IMHO.

Thanks again,
AJ

Port knocking should add very little overhead, one connection every
200MB if you set volsize=200.  Besides, its not the guys on the outside
you need to worry about, most data theft is internal.

...Ken

AJ Weber wrote:
I was considering using port knocking to stealth all ports on the target
until I open the connection, but that won't work right with that M.O.

Can't be too careful these days.

-AJ