Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypted Diffs

From: AJ Weber
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypted Diffs
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:27:27 -0500

Right, there are a lot of details to how this works, but I'll tell you what I _think_ I know. ;)

- Rsync/rdiff uses a mechanism of hashing the file to not only detect if it has changed, but also to identify which bytes have changed. - Duplicity keeps a copy of this set of hashes for the files in both the target server (where you're storing your backups), AND locally on the client -- in a cache directory. The local copy is just to speed-up processing and not have to request the hash-sets everytime from the target server. But it _does_ check if the hash set is up-to-date as well.

Now one would have to presume that these hashes are created before encrypting the file (on the client, before it's sent as part of the tar/gzip archive) so that they can accurately be compared. (This I presume.)

Thus, the heavy-lifting for the incremental detection and byte-diffs is done by the proven, rsync/rdiff algorithm and the results of that are then encrypted and sent to the backup (target) server.

Again, I am making some educated presumptions here, but I would think I'm pretty close after having looked at the source, results, and cache.

It seems to work great, though I don't like how it sends new signatures (or something -- I have to check) to the target server when there are NO changes. This seems like a waste of disk space (though it's fairly small), bandwidth and time. Not to mention that it clutters the backup servers' directories with files that essentially don't have any value. But I have to assume they do...just none that I understand at this point. Ken might be able to illuminate us on that.

Good Luck,
AJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gabriel Ambuehl" <address@hidden>