[Duplicity-talk] pauses during full backup

From: Russ Milliken
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] pauses during full backup
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:54:26 -0400

Hi All,

I'm doing an initial full duplicity backup to rsync.net and I'm seeing some strange delays -- "pauses", if you will -- when uploading the difftar.gpg files.  Check out the timestamps of volume 3, 4, 5, and 6:

-rw-------  1 3595  3595  26186270 Jun  1 12:08 duplicity-full.2010-06-01T08:
00:57-04:00.vol3.difftar.gpg
-rw-------  1 3595  3595  26231521 Jun  1 12:10 duplicity-full.2010-06-01T08:00:57-04:00.vol4.difftar.gpg

-rw-------  1 3595  3595  26193770 Jun  1 14:13 duplicity-full.2010-06-01T08:00:57-04:00.vol5.difftar.gpg
-rw-------  1 3595  3595  26229977 Jun  1 14:15 duplicity-full.2010-06-01T08:00:57-04:00.vol6.difftar.gpg

This pattern recurs every few hours, where I'll get good transfer of a few difftar.gpg files (order of two or three minutes to upload per file), then a long 2+ hour "pause" between uploads when the duplicity process is ostensibly still running on my machine with no errors.  After the pause, uploads continue for a while until another "pause" happens.

Can anyone explain this?  rsync.net claims they know of no issues with their network / machines.

Thanks in advance,

-Russ