Re: [Duplicity-talk] GPL-3

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] GPL-3
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:32:55 +0300

ext Joe MacDonald <address@hidden> writes:

> There's actually a number of reasons but they all amount to something like "we
> are writing proprietary code and don't want to be forced to open-source any of
> it".

In my experience, that is not the concern with GPLv3.  GPLv2 and GPLv3
are quite the same in this regard, and if you have made your peace with
GPLv2 by following its conditions, then GPLv3 wont make your life any
harder.

What _is_ a concern, as far as I can see, are the 'anti-tivoization'
clauses of the GPLv3: You can not have any kind of signing or
checksumming in a product that prevents a modified version of GPLv3
software to actually run.

These kind of anti-features are still en vogue in the mobile world, but
who knows for how long.