[Duplicity-talk] New Google Docs storage backend

From: Carlos Abalde
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] New Google Docs storage backend
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:43:19 +0200

Hi guys!

First time in this mailing list :) I just want let you know I've created a new
Duplicity branch on Launchpad
(https://code.launchpad.net/~carlos-abalde/duplicity/google-docs) adding
support to use Google Docs as a backend for duplicity
(http://code.google.com/apis/documents/docs/3.0/developers_guide_python.html).

The implementation is pretty simple and depends on python-gdata libs (apt-get
install python-gdata on Ubuntu). Apart form minor changes in other files, the
core implementation are less than 100 lines of code,

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~carlos-abalde/duplicity/google-docs/view/head:/duplicity/backends/gdocsbackend.py

Be friendly, it's my first time in Python and also my first time using the
Google Data API. It need some improvements, but it seems to work fine and I'm
sure it would be useful for all that people (like me) that want to use the
extremely cheap Google storage space to store their Duplicity backups.

The new backend URI format is gdocs://user[:address@hidden/some_dir (example:
gdocs://carlos.abalde:address@hidden/backup). Note that 'some_dir' must be the
name of an existing folder in your Google Docs account. Also note that
'other-host' usually will be gmail.com, but it should also work with Google
Apps accounts using other domains (no tested yet).

My plan is to include some improvements and start using it for my personal
backups asap, but I also would like to hear your feedback and include any
changes in order to make this small contribution useful to other people :)

Thank you!

--
Carlos Abalde