Re: [Duplicity-talk] Listing files that have changed since last backup

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Listing files that have changed since last backup
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:50:05 -0500

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 03:31:38PM +0100, Daniel Hahler wrote:
Hello,

has there been made any progress in this regard?

You could work around it by using verbose output (and look at the cron
mail output for example), but that is not possible after the backup
already happened and too verbose to be used in general.

I use '--verbose info -log-file file.log' to get all messages created during backup into file.log, but in a structured format that's easy to process.

Here's a (censored) snippet of my latest log. It shows that added files are sent with INFO 4, modified as INFO 5, and deleted with INFO 6.

-- snip --
INFO 4 'home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo'
. A home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo

INFO 5 'home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo/.mh_sequences'
. M home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo/.mh_sequences

INFO 6 'home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo/5681'
. D home/xxxxxxxx/xxxx/foo/5681

-- snip --

I am only using it backup, and I'm not sure if it would output the files you're looking for other operations. Worst case, you could store the files added/deleted/modified in a flat file or lightweight DB like SQLite, perhaps associated with the backup identifier (eg, "20111110T064541Z.to.20111111T064543Z"). Then you could read the file/files or query the DB to find out when a file was added, changed, or deleted.

I've attached my Perl script for reading the structured records. My only interest was excluding all the INFO 1 messages (except for "Uploading" messages) from the normal unstructured output, but you could hook whatever logic you wanted to the end of the script. The script expects one or more duplicity structured log files on the command line, and currently just prints to STDOUT.

--
Ed Blackman