[Duplicity-talk] A duplicity restore question

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] A duplicity restore question
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:24:41 -0500

Dear duplicity maintainers --

I am wondering what files are necessary in order to do a restore
of (say) one file. Here's my setup:

- Use duplicity to back up to a local area on my laptop;
  this guarantees that (provided there is space) a backup can
  complete even if there is network interruption, etc.

- Use rsync to copy the encrypted backup files to a remote file server

- Delete the local copies of the vol*.difftar.gpg files, but keep
  local copies of the manifests and sigtar files

I would have thought that having the difftar files pertaining to
the file(s) I am trying to restore would be enough, but when I try
to run the restore, duplicity dies deep in the perl code.

It may be relevant that the file in question was created recently
and will appear only in some incremental backups. I would prefer
not to have to copy back many Gbs of full backup in order to get
back one file. I was able to reconstruct it manually by cat'ing
together parts of the multi-vol snapshot of the first version of
the file and then using rdiff to apply subsequent diffs, but that's
not a good solution much of the time.

I don't know if duplicity would succeed if I have all the difftar
files present because I've not yet been willing to "go there".

Regards -- Eliot Moss