Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Duplicity and /tmp

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Duplicity and /tmp
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:46:20 -0500

Just FYI on this.  I just added code to Deja Dup to specify --tempdir, giving a path on the same partition as the source files (to avoid issues like /tmp being a tmpfs partition).

Since we thus may not be using /tmp as tempdir, I also added code to try to cleanup after duplicity the next time Deja Dup runs if we got interrupted the previous time.  I make the (currently-valid) assumption that duplicity's temp directories always start with "duplicity-".

So please don't change that on me!  (Not that you have any reason to, but just saying.)

-mt

On 15 January 2013 05:20, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15.01.2013 03:27, Michael Terry wrote:
> So in Fedora 18, they are using tmpfs, and duplicity is running out of space a lot.
>
> What steps have been taken to reduce the /tmp space usage?
>
> I would think we would need some multiple of volsize.  But it seems we need a multiple of the largest file being backed up?

yes, for restoring, verifying and generally actions that need a resulting file patched up to a state of a specific time the librsync routine actually needs the file locally and creates a patched copy. this is repeated until the desired state is reached and the temporary file then "restored" or compared against the checksum.

actually we need 2xlargest file plus probably 2 volumes (if asynchronous)

we had an issue up 0.6.20 where these file always ended up in posix TEMPDIR. now they end up in the duplicity temp folder which is properly relocatable.

..ede