Re: [Duplicity-talk] long term incrementals and scalability question

From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] long term incrementals and scalability question
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:21:38 +0200

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:57:22AM -0500, Elvar wrote:
> On 4/16/2013 11:24 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> >On 16.04.2013 18:05, Elvar wrote:
> >>I am currently using Duplicity to make backups of a fast growing email
> >>archive solution. I have Duplicity backing the data up via FTP to an
> >>offsite server. I performed the initial full backup and have been doing
> >>incrementals since. I'm using 250M volumes to try and cut down on the
> >>number of files on the remote server. The question I have is, is this a
> >>viable long term method I'm using? Performing semi routine full backups is
> >>not an option due to how long they take and the amount of data that has to
> >>be transferred.
> >>
> >no. currently when one signature/volume becomes corrupt all following
> >backups become unusable as well. so you either
> >
> >1. have to do full on a regular schedule
> >or
> >2. doing new backups against an old full by moving incrementals manually
> >somewhere else on the backend (and back if you want to restore a backup
> >contained in them). NOTE: this is a hack and not advised, but the only way
> >currently to "rebase" incrementals.
> >
> >also, in #2 you'd assume that your full will never get corrupted, which is
> >probably not very clever either.
> >
> >..ede/duply.net
> >

> Would I be better off doing a straight rsync of the archive then in
> your opinion?

I use different solutions, according to the case. For example, I like a few
amount of files, freedom of compression, freedom of ciphering, and freedom of
diff levels; then, I use my own cooked btar: http://viric.name/cgi-bin/btar

If you can run 'rsync' on the other side, maybe you can run other programs too.
You can get a quite quick incremental backup with free snapshots and ciphering
using libchop, I think: http://nongnu.org/libchop/

Regards,
Lluís.